Living in Phuket town, it seems all too often that travelers land in the capital and head straight to the beaches or heady heights of Patong or Karon without so much as a second glance for humble Phuket town. During my time here however, I’ve realized that all it takes is a little patience and a deeper look to uncover what this town truly has to offer. To save you the mystery here are my top 10 reasons for making Phuket town a point on your Phuket itinerary.
- Phuket Old Town - Soak up the culture and historic architecture by exploring the old town areas and its localPeranakan Culture
- Shopping – As the capital of the island Phuket town is undoubtedly the best place for shopping on the island. From bargains at the local night market to the more upscale Grand Central Festival Shopping complex, it offers the greatest variety of consumer goods
- NightLife – With an exciting live music scene, and lots of local bands the nightlife in Phuket town has less of a westernized feel than its Karon and Patong counterparts, and it’s a good place to mingle with the locals
- Motorbike Road Trip – Phuket town is a great base to head out onto the open road and make a coastal drive complete with sea breeze air to explore nearby sights. Click on our 1 day bike itinerary for more info.
- Relax and Observe – Less touristic than the likes of Patong and Karon, soak up the sights and smells and a view from any of the street side restaurants or cafes, offering a good insight into how local Thais go about their daily lives
- Koh Sirey – Just a few kilometers from town over a connecting bridge, a visit to the Sea Gypsy island feels like a whole other world. A quiet hilly coastal area with fantastic views, its home to the largest settlement of Sea Gypsies and their fishing villages.
- Viewpoints – With viewpoints such as the Big Buddha, Laem Promthep, Rang Hill, Monkey Hill and 3 beaches viewpoint within easy distance from town, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
- Phuket Chinese Vegetarian Festival - Why not plan your trip to coincide with one of Thailand’s most talked about and craziest festivals? Held every year at the beginning of October over 10days, with street processions that include bizarre displays of body piercing, it’s a hair raising event to say the least. Not to mention the nightlong cacophony of firecrackers, fireworks and of course fantastic vegetarian food!
- Monkey Hill – Otherwise known as Toh Sae Hill is a great viewpoint but the main feature are the macaques that you will meet on the road up as they run around freely and enjoy being fed by locals.
- Because it’s not Patong ! - Last but not least, contrary to popular belief not all of Phuket is like Patong. So why not experience a different side to Phuket and enjoy the authentic offerings of Phuket town?
Have you enjoyed the rich culture and authentic Thai life in Phuket Town, Thailand?
Popularity: 3% [?]