Because of Phuket’s large Chinese community, there are numerous Chinese temples and shrines placed around the island, particularly in Phuket City. These Shrines do not contain any Buddha pictures but many different gods of various kinds. The popular vegetarian festival in October is concentrated around these shrines. Thus during the Vegetarian Festival, these temples become the major attractions of the island. They are the centre of all the activities during the vegetarian festival when they become very busy and exciting. Of particular interest are for example the Put Jor and Jui Tui shrines on Ranong Road at the junction with Soi Phuthon. There is also the Shrine of the Serene Light tucked away off Phang Nga Road. Another is the Sam San shrine on Krabi Road near the junction with Patiphat Road.
One of the most ancient and most beautiful Chinese temples on Phuket, is Put Yaw in Ranong Road. This temple documents the great influence of the Chinese people in Thai culture. The main temple is dedicated to Kuan Yin, the goddess of grace.
The Chinese shrines are also the center of attraction during Chinese New Year in February. Two of the main Chinese places of worship in Phuket City include the above mentioned Jui Tui Shrine at the end of Rangong Rd and as well the Samkong Shrine in Samkong on Yaowarat Rd.
More shrines are:
- Gim Tsu Ong Shrine Chinese Temple in Ban Don southwest of Thalang
- Jang Ong Shrine Chinese Temple at Yaowarat Road in Phuket Town
- Karon Plaza Shrine a small Chinese Temple at Karon Beach
- Lim Woo Tai Seu Shrine (Samkong Shrine) Chinese Temple at Yaowarat Road in Phuket Town
- Sapam Shrine (Kuan Te Kun Shrine) Chinese Temple at Nakhon Road in Phuket Town
- Pun Tuao Kong Shrine Chinese Temple on the top of Route 4029 from Patong Beach to Phuket Town
- Bang Neow Shrine (Tao Bo Kee Ong Shrine) Chinese Temple at Phuket Road in Phuket Town
- Put Yaw Temple at Ranong Road in Phuket Town, the oldest among Chinese Temples in Phuket
- Tha Reua Shrine Chinese Temple at Thep Krasattri Road in Phuket Town
Popularity: 19% [?]