Coming to Phuket? Thinking of coconuts, blue seas, lazing on the beach, carefree days and UV rays? The tropical island of Phuket is so much fun, but sunburns are not. Fear not, if you are sun smart and SPF friendly you can still safely enjoy the sun without risking sunburn or damage to your skin, here are some easy but essential tips to keeping you sunburn free.
1) Apply sunscreen before and often Sunscreen should be applied 30 mins before going out in the sun to allow time for the skin to absorb the sunblock. As a rule of thumb, if you are playing sports or swimming, re-apply sunscreen every hour, otherwise re-apply sunscreen every two hours.
2) Which SPF SPF stands for ‘sun protection factor’ and the amount of protection from UVB Rays. Sunscreens with SPF 15 filter out 93% of UVB rays, SPF 30% filters out 97% , SPF 50 filters 98% and SPF 100 blocks out 99%. So if you have fair skin opt for a higer SPF. A higher SPF does not mean you can stay out longer as the effectiveness decreases over time. UVA Rays lead to wrinkling and spots so make sure your suncreen offers UVB and UVA protection.
3) You’ve missed a spot! Before going out in the sun, make sure that each part of your skin that will be exposed is coated with sunscreen. Apply sufficient amounts of sunscreen particularly on your hands, face, ears or even a part of your hairline to prevent the damaging effect of the ultraviolet rays of the sun.
4) Choose the right type Creams and lotions are good choices for daily use on both your face and body. If you are prone to acne, gels are recommended as they are oil-free and won’t clog pores. Sprays are useful in covering hairy places on the body (arms and thinning scalp), not to mention restless children. Add accessories such as SPF lipbalm and hair protecting spray with SPF.
5) Don’t stay out long between 10 am and 3 pm This is when the sun’s rays are the strongest. If you’re outdoors during this time, keep in mind that you’ll burn faster than at other times of the day.
6) Don’t forget your eyes Your skin is not the only one that can be harmed. Your eyesight needs protection too. Wear sunglasses with UV protection to protect your eyes.
7) Wear a hat Wide-brimmed hats are the best, they prevent your scalp as well as your face from too much exposure to the sun. They help a lot in shielding your head and your face from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. Even if you have already put sunscreen on your face, a hat will offer extra protection for your face, neck and hair.
8) Aloe vera Aloe vera is a wonderful plant and aloe vera creams can be used for so many things such as insect bites, burns, reducing the effect of scarring. It also acts as a soothing agent for sun affected skin and eases the symptoms of sunburn.
9) H2O Be sure to drink plenty of water, you will need to consume more than normal as your body loses water through sweating. This will help keep you body hydrated inside and out.
If you have any tips of your own, feel free to share them here
^^ Gadis Wijaya