If you are reading this article, you must be in the process of planning your first holiday vacation trip to Asia. It could be your first time to Asia or it could be your 10th time, nevertheless, you are probably wondering whether there are any gems left unturned here on this little island, called Phuket.
For starters, Phuket is Thailand and the Andaman Sea’s largest island. Staying true to its name’s meaning, “Mountain Jewel,” this island began its roots with residents seeking riches in tin-mining. Not so long after, Phuket became a home to many and a vacation paradise, annually visited my millions of people across Asia and the rest of the world.
This article will help you uncover those mysteries, and hopefully, help you get excited about travelling to Phuket for next trip in Asia
- Phuket has some of the world's Best Sunset and Sunrise spots
- Phuket is surrounded by clusters of unspoiled islands and Thai National Parks
- Phuket has 36 beaches and many are recognized as Asia's Best Beaches
- Phuket is rich in culture, history, and festivities
- Phuket has many world-class Golf course
- Phuket is perfect for Yachting and Sailing
- Nightlife and Beachclubs in Phuket are abundant
- Phuket is a Food Gastronomy UNESCO site
- Phuket’s Shopping and Entertainment infrastructure is fantastic and improving
Phuket has some of the world's Best Sunset and Sunrise spots
Sunset, Sunset, and Sunset – easily one of nature’s most breathtaking sights and a reminder that the simplest things can never cease to amaze you. In the past, Phuket has always been known for its top-tier beaches in Asia, but today it has become more than that.
Surrounded by the Andaman Sea and its 7 clusters of well preserved islands, Phuket has becomes the clear choice for those seeking beautiful sunset views and the complete peace of the sea. One can easily rent a boat and crew in any of Phuket’s marinas and partake the orange rays and subsequently bright millions of stars on top of their private yaht.
If you are looking for truly magnificent and one of a kind in Asia, take a private yaht or a rent a private car or taxi up to the Samet Nangshe Viewpoint. This isolated and 180 degrees wide view point north of Phuket will make your holiday vacation trip well worth it as you’ll be able to witness a spectacular sunrise towering behind islands of grand limestone formations.
Big Buddha Phuket, a 45-meter tall white marble statue overlooking all of southern Phuket is definitely one of the islands best sunset 360 degree view point. It is ranked as one of the largest Buddha statues in Thailand, and its white jade marble gleams in the sun from the mountain top. Learn more about 4 must visit Thai Temples in Phuket
Other notable mentions also include enjoying the sunset at Cape Panwa View Point or during a food tour of Sunday Phuket Walking Street or at any of the other west-facing beaches in Phuket.
Learn more about Underrate and Hidden Viewpoints and Scenic drives in Phuket
Phuket is surrounded by clusters of unspoiled islands and Thai National Parks
A short boat ride to the north is the outstanding Phang Nga Bay, with its striking limestone islets towering out of the emerald waters.
Did you know that Phuket has 9 clusters of easily accessible islands surrounding Phuket, many of which have attracted international spotlights in the movies, The Beach with Leonardo Decaprio (1999), and James Bond “The Man with the Golden Gun” (1974). This abundance in islands opens many doors to your island and adventure cravings.
Learn more in our article that details ways to take advantage of scuba diving, island hopping, and more fun adventure things.
In addition, there are more island clusters around Phuket that are considered Thailand's best Marine National Parks. Some of these Thai National Parks are ranked top in the world.
Learn more in our article that details nearby worth visiting Thai National Parks around Phuket
Phuket has 36 beaches and many are recognized as Asia's Best Beaches
You heard that right. Phuket has 36 beaches around its islands each with its own character - winning awards every year such as getting on the number 2 spot of Unforgettable Beach Destinations from TripSavvy.
With this number of beaches, it is hardly surprising that Phuket is known as a beach destination. Each features soft, fine white sand, gently caressed by turquoise seas and shaded by nodding palms. It is almost the archetype of paradise. With such a wide selection - comes variety. It is possible to find busy and lively options as well as peaceful deserted beaches.
- If you are looking for loud public beach with a lot of restaurants and the best nightlife scene, check out Patong Beach
- If you are looking for a relaxing public well-balanced beach, check out Karon Beach (a beach that made it to TripAdvisor’s top 25 beaches in Asia). Link to TripAdvisor.
- If you are looking for an expat area, check out Laguna area / Bangtao Beach.
- If you are looking for a private beach with its own private pier for breathtaking pier photography, visit Nakalay Beach.
Phuket is rich in culture, history, and festivities
Thailand generally has a wonderful culture and a colourful history, with each region of the "Land of Smiles" having its own unique charm and attractions. This is perhaps most vivid in Phuket, with its wonderful Old Phuket Town. Constructed in the mid-19th century when the island was in the midst of a highly profitable tin mining boom, Old Phuket Town's Sino-Portuguese-style buildings are grand, opulent and well-preserved. On Sunday Nights, Old Phuket Town is transformed in a lively night market - filled with food and local trinkets.
- Other areas of Phuket are also filled with vibrant markets, fascinating museums and beautiful temples - a whole menu that is sure to satisfy the pickiest traveller. Learn more about top 30 family sight-seeing activities, local restaurants, and things to do in Phuket Town here.
- Learn all about Phuket's top 5 Heritage Museums here
- If you are around for October, be sure to visit our Vegetarian Festival where for 8 days the city’s culinary scene transforms into a vegetarian season. Restaurants all around will attempt to imitate their famous cuisines with vegetables. Learn more about the Best Time to visit Phuket for festivities, weather, or particular activities.
Phuket has many world-class Golf courses
A quintessential activity of a luxury holiday, Phuket is fortunate enough to have a number of high-end country clubs and courses. Each is well-furnished with first-class facilities and offers challenging holes in beautiful surroundings – ideal if you need a break from the beach!
I have listed a couple below for your consideration:
- Blue Canyon Phuket has courses ranked as one of Asia's most distinguished and prestigious championship courses
- LOCH Palm Golf Club Phuket
- Red Mountain Golf Club
Phuket is perfect for Yachting and Sailing
Enjoying the sunset from a Phuket beachfront resort is undoubtedly a memorable experience, but not as memorable as enjoying it from a beautiful yaht.
Phuket is home to several yachting marinas and a veritable fleet of luxury vessels. Enjoy island-hopping in the comfort of what basically amounts to a floating mansion, with the kind of facilities and in-room amenities you would normally expect of a Phuket luxury hotel ! Yes, the breathtaking tropical islands around Phuket are the real attraction here, but exploring them in style and supreme comfort (and privacy, away from the hordes of tourists) is certainly an added bonus.
Nightlife and Beachclubs in Phuket are abundant
Nightlife in Phuket is extremely varied. At one extreme, Patong Beach's Bangla Road is a dense concentration of noisy bars and nightclubs – great for the dedicated party animal. Bangtao Beach offers sophisticated beach clubs, Phuket Town is where the locals go to let their hair down and Karon Beach, with its many Phuket family resorts, offers something in the middle – fun, but not crazy.
- Patong Beach is the place to go for messy nocturnal entertainments, from Mai Tais to Muay Thai and flamboyant shows to world-class nightclubs. From budget beers to crazy clubs, Patong has something for you among its extraordinary variety.
- Chilling in and by the pool is one thing, but chilling on a poolside cabana with some chill-out beats and first class cocktails is quite another. Fortunately, Phuket has no shortage of great beach clubs, including a number of the bigger names in the party industry, including Dream Beach Club and Café del Mar. There are also local heroes like Catch Beach Club, which has been named among the best in the world thanks to its great setting in Bangtao Beach, first-class food and beverages and an outstanding luxury look. Choose whichever one is close to your accommodation!
- Our personal recommendation is to look for something in between like Karon Beach. Karon Beach is close to Patong Beach, and is near many top beachclubs in Phuket.
Phuket - a rising Food Gastronomy UNESCO site
In 2015, Phujket is a UNESCO World Heritage Site was named a Creative City for its ability to transmit and uphold ancient recipes passed down by generations of local families.
Food is among Thailand’s most famous exports, but nothing compares to Thai food prepared by experienced Thai chefs in Thailand. From the simplest street stall to the most opulent restaurant of the finest Phuket family resort, the delightful blend of flavours available is something you have to taste to believe. Being an island, the local cuisine naturally leans heavily on seafood, with the Tom Yam Goong (spicy prawn soup) being a particular must-try.
Phuket’s Shopping and Entertainment infrastructure is fantastic and improving
Tourist Infrastructure developments have been on the rise in the past couple of years, making the island a much more attractive holiday destination to visit or live.
Shopping malls with experiential attractions are getting introduced to this Asia gem.
- Central Floresta Phuket – boasts a number of luxury retailers and restaurant options as well as an aquarium and a small theater show
- King Power Duty Free – A duty free mall
- Andamanda Phuket - a large waterpark
- Blue Tree Phuket - an large adult-oriented waterpark near Bangtao Beach.
- Jungceylon – tries to be an all-in-one entertainment, eating, and shopping destination with its food market area, roof top bars, bowling, arcade, and cinema
With all that has been said, it is hard to imagine not putting Phuket on the top of your list for Asia’s top holiday destination. From fun, excitement to family and breathrtaking views, Phuket is defeitoley a one of a kind destination for all.